Wednesday 27 February 2013

GREEN WOODPECKER

While out and about today testing my new, NEW camera I spotted this Green Woodpecker pulling the old Woodpecker trick!

He was in a field of grass and on the floor and then once spotting me it flies to the nearest trunk and then scrambles round the far side out of my line of site. Then every now and then it peeps round to check I am still there before disappearing out of view again.

This is a common habit with woodpeckers and I have seen Greater Spotted Woodpeckers do the same thing. Most people would think they have flow far away without realising they are just a few meters away and just waiting for you to wander off?!

Hang about or try and get close and provided there are enough trees around they will fly rapidly to the far side of the next tree and then the next. If you fail to keep track they will soon be far away leaving you wondering where the hole is they must have disappeared inside?!

Forgive the pictures as this was on FULL ZOOM at 40x and I am still familiarising myself with it after being used to Nikon cameras, lol.

The Woodpecker was quite some distance away too and this was a hand held picture.

LOL.



No comments:

Post a Comment