Monday 20 May 2013

THE ORCHID CONUNDRUM

OK well I finally get around to typing this one out?!

In my last couple of posts regarding the Common Spotted Orchid (Datylorhiza fuchsii), Marsh Orchids (Dactylorhiza genus) and Bee Orchids (Ophrys apifera), taken on the same day, and wile at the second site with the Common Spotted a man walks towards me before he stops and says ...

'not much about!'

This is the second time this has happened on this particular spot and I remark how we can always identify other enthusiasts despite never having met before.

We stop and chat and he informs me he has enquired about the site with the Lea Valley Park Authority and they said that the sites are slowly dying out. I replied 'well yeah but did they give a reason?' and he says that it is the fungus they need and I reply 'the microrrhiza?!' and he mentions about the ash being used up.

I then say well yes but its not the fungus and how come they are able to chop down dozens of trees when we are not supposed to be chopping any down and yet they are unable to take away tin cans and rubbish while being unable to bring down and dump more ash?! He agrees and then points out what I had previously highlighted in that someone has been down there digging?! He states he does not know why and I say I noticed this and put pictures on here and that I am at a loss to know why too.

I chat about the Bee Orchid site and he is unaware of its existence nor of the two Southern Marsh Orchids yet knows the rough area and visits the Orchid Meadow we are standing on every day.

I then tell him about the magically appearing several hundred Primroses the four different colours and he looks concerned as well as mystified before I say its a big con and he says 'yes your right, I should have realised that MONEY was behind all this!'.

I also say that the Common Spotted Orchids I have...spotted (groan) are not where I usually see flowers and on the opposite side of the meadow. Indeed I have only ever seen ONE single plant on that side but normally a dozen or more on the other. Today it is the complete opposite to what I normally see.

This chap remarks about all the trees they have cut down near the lakes shore and maybe its to let in more light and I say something along the lines of too little too late and he nods.

We end up parting ways before I make my way to the location of the very last site I found two years ago I have yet to see a single Orchid in, despite the saying stating three or four species their and one I have yet to see being the Common Twayblade Orchid.

No comments:

Post a Comment