Wednesday 27 May 2015

THE GREAT CORMORANT - Phalacrocorax carbo

This one was a weird one.

Nothing much on this lake I normally check while out hunting things down but some ways off I see something that looks a lot like a Heron from where I was standing.

As I looked though it did not look right and looked too small, though it looked bigger than a Little Egret. In body mass at least.

I then zoomed in, after nearly not bothering, and see a beak like a Merganser, or Goosander, and then saw the chest and thought this looked more like a Cormorant.

Only the whole of its breast was pale.

Not being great on water foul but I do see a lot of Cormorants here they are normally black all over. I thought maybe the females have a pale breast like this one or even the youngsters.

When I got home I had a better look at the pictures, video and looked online and realised it was a Great Cormorant, Phalacrocorax carbo.

Do not know if this is a good spot or not, lol, waiting to hear back from one of my brothers who would know better than me. Probably not but at least it is another ticked of the very long list..

A few pictures and a video ...

My God the pictures are dreadful! Funny I nearly bought a new camera a month ago, starting to think I should have bought it now!






No comments:

Post a Comment