Tuesday 9 October 2012

Introduction to British Wildlife

I will state at this stage that though this blog is labelled as British Wildlife the large majority of it will be rare or unusual things spotted and taken photos of.

This will be anything from birds, reptiles, amphibians to insects and indeed a very large metallic emerald green beetle will be one of the first to get a mention!

As stated in my blog about reptiles, amphibians and fish I have been involved in the animal kingdom for a great many years. Even in my thesis for my computing science degree I created a program to access stored details on wildlife that created a great deal of attention from both inside and outside the university.

I did the same in the course I had to sit to get into university and this garnered a great deal of attention too, albeit on one occasion for the wrong reasons!

One thing I do a great deal is get among the wildlife a great deal, when the weather permits, but of late and likely as I will do in the future I will get further afield and therefore spot a great many things and with a little luck, or I am not a complete idiot, I will have my camera with me and I mean my CAMERA as opposed to the one on my phone!

I say that as I spotted a Wheatear in a local park which I had never seen in the area before and was alone except for the fact it was sprinting around on the grass with a bunch of Pied Wagtails?! Indeed this was what I assumed it was until I noticed a blue look to it, then some buff colouring before finally spotting the black mask over its eye.

I reached for my Nikon, not there! I got out my phone and took several photos but absolutely no sign of it on the resulting pictures. Bah humbug!

A good photographer ALWAYS carries their camera with them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment