Tuesday 30 April 2013

MAGIC BRITISH ORCHIDS

Magically appearing Orchids where there were NONE before.

There are supposedly 3 or 4 species of Orchid at this spot but the only one I am interested in spotting is the Common Twayblade. Supposedly the commonest of all in this park I have yet to see a single flower.

I did find a couple of plants last year that looked like they could be them, or the year before, but did not find them again.

Now that I have looked at the pictures I took, difficult when not in flower, I had though these were Marsh Orchids of the Dactylorhiza genus but now realise they look more like Bee Orchids, not listed as being present, while one likely not an Orchid at all and I am not about to dig them up looking for their tubers, lol.


 






Despite doing a good impression the star like pattern arrangement of the leaves I have now noted suggests this is NOT one of the Marsh Orchids?! Still I will keep a check on them nevertheless.

They are also not Twayblades with have round spoon shaped leaves and only TWO, lol.

As a matter of fact all the Orchids I am familar with so far have a bilateral shape. Could possible be Pyramidal Orchids I cannot remember what the leaves look like, lol.

Whatever these and the others turn out to be they was not there last year or the year before.



Theses look far better than the other Orchids I have visited.



No comments:

Post a Comment