Tuesday 23 July 2013

NOTCH HORNED CLEG FLY (HORSE-FLY) - HAEMOTOPUS PLUVIALIS

Well this was the first time I had seen one of these up close and was not quite what I was expecting!

A Horse-Fly female, which are the ones that bite, and this one properly known as a Notch-Horned Cleg Fly and my brother Ryan is holding the fly after just capturing it. Unfortunately the reason behind him NOTICING it was that it had just bit him in the hand!

Also seen the Latin listed on Wikipedia (cannot be trusted) as Haematopota psedolusitanica (straight away I am pretty sure the species name should be pseudolusitanica so 'pseudo' and not 'psedo')





1 comment:

  1. Hi would you allow me to use one of these photos in a blog post please? I'd like to do a size comparison between the British Isles' horsefly and one of the varieties found in Provence. I would of course credit you and link back to your blog.

    ReplyDelete