Sunday 21 July 2013

SWALLOW TAILED MOTH - OURAPTERYX SAMBUCARIA

EDIT: Apologies as I misidentified this as a shell moth, will I did say I was rubbish at this?! Lol. Anyway I hate things up that sure strongly named do I've changed it. I'm also not and I mean NOT USING THE INTERNET any more to identify further types I now possess a book asks s number of great but probably crap pictures and videos of butterflies I've not had before! When I got to my friends Pet Store he had a surprise for me as he knows I have been working on this blog for British Wildlife. Sitting on the wall of the shop behind his plant stands was this rather large and rather lemon moth. It was larger than those I normally see and the wingspan was a little over double that of a pound coin, which I have used in one of the photos! I then did a quick search and first thought it was a Brimstone Moth and then realised it was in fact a Yellow Shell Moth, though this ones SHELL is a little broken. Once I got enough photos I then moved him to the safety of a rather large bush and took a couple more pictures before he disappeared into the thickets. I then walked back into the shop and then realised I did not get a damned video of him. I went back to have a look but I could not find him. I must say I have never seen one of these before and despite my brother informing me they are fairly common I was mightily impressed with him and his absolutely SPLENDID, as Steve would say, colour!!









No comments:

Post a Comment