Friday 19 July 2013

SMALL COPPER BUTTERFLY - LYCAENA PHLAEAS

When I spotted this I knew it was none of the Browns and nor the Skipper.

I had not seen much or remembered much about Butterflies since my childhood and thought this was a Fritillary of some sort and even identified at as either a Queen of Spain (even the name sounded unlikely) or Silver Washed Fritillary which I did remember from my childhood.

Then I noticed on one photo that the upper rear wings had dark area and none of the Fritillaries had that and I looked at the Copper Butterflies and boom!

Shame it is not a Large Copper, eh?! LOL.

The Large Copper Butterfly is quite a handsome beast but the British sub-species, if it was a sub-species, is extinct and has been for some years, 1851. In fact a re-introduction took place as long as as 1927 and you can read more about this here...

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/species.php?species=dispar





No comments:

Post a Comment