Wednesday 5 June 2013

A TERN FOR THE WORST

Rubbish pictures I know but there are a couple of videos over on YouTube.

This was quite something as I was cycling towards my Orchid sites and spotted a pair of Common Terns and six Black Headed Gulls swooping around up and down and along the river.

AT first I though one lot were chasing the other away until I realised they were feeding on what appeared to be large Damsel Flies as they were emerging from the water surface and taking flight.

It was some site and it is not often I can say that Black Headed Gulls Impressed me but even so they were no match for the Terns who would even swoop right up at the tops of trees and often loop over and even barrel roll in their eagerness to catch as many as they could!

Quite something, except for the emerging Damsel Flies who barely got a taste of flight before the Terns and Gulls got a taste of them?!









No comments:

Post a Comment