Wednesday 5 June 2013

GREAT CRESTED NEWT LARVAE - TRITURUS CRISTATUS

The ponds I visit regularly have produced larvae of the Crested Newt, Triturus cristatus.

Oddly they seem to have switched ponds, which I did think would happen to be honest and I did warn them about this but they know better while being paid tens millions a year to manage nature BADLY, lol.

I also spotted a female Palmate Newt surfacing for air which I have not seen before in this pond.

Lets hope the chemicals they were liberally spraying around the ponds do not kill the newts off. Amphibians are particularly sensitive to chemicals due to the fact that they breath through their skin.

I have only ever used ONE chemical on sick amphibians and would be VERY wary about using anything else.



No comments:

Post a Comment