Saturday 29 June 2013

DAY OF THE ORCHIDS - THE COMMON TWAYBLADE ORCHID - NEOTTIA OVATA

Well finally!!!

After several years of searching this one down I finally nail it down to a day it is in flower that turns out to be a day of breaking some personal records that still remind me today with very stiff muscles in my legs, lol.

The name Twayblade means two leaves, which are egg shaped and reflected in their species name of ovata which is Latin fir egg. Ovata is referring then to the egg shaped leaves of which there are only two.

Very small green flowers you could easily miss and was right by. Only when you look more closely does that almost unmistakable Orchid look of the flowers stand out.

Hopefully I will get another chance this year to get a bit more on these and never thought to get a video of them on the day, lol dumb-arse.

Oddly I was expecting the two leaves to be flush with the ground due to some pictures I had remembered seeing or very close to it. These leaves were up higher than I actually thought they would be though I do have a theory on it being so much long grass, lol.

I also know for a fact they are spreading to an area where there is NO grass?! In fact I am pretty sure I had already taken photos of younger plants I had wagered were Twayblades and posted them up on here?! These plants were nowhere near these ones, a couple of feet higher elevation, therefore drier, and in a very public accessible area. I have not seen them this year though.

I do really like these Orchids and they are unusual to me in many ways. Inconspicuous until you take a closer look, delicate colours of very slight red edging in jade like flowers and those two leaves. Several years I waited to see these and I am pleased to say they have not disappointed me indeed quite the opposite in fact.










No comments:

Post a Comment