Monday 10 June 2013

COMMON SPOTTED ORCHID SITE - DACTYLORHIZA FUCHSII

Finally I manage to post up the last of the series, well until I am up there next today or tomorrow, on my British Orchids?!

PHEW!

The weather had been extremely forgiving unlike the insects which manage to find two spot not covered by insect repellent. One on the outside of my right hand and the other on my left elbow.

Both areas become quite swollen and my knuckles red...THE BLIGHTERS!!

If I said that the Orchids were late this year that would be an understatement! These are just opening as you can see and yet normally in June these flowers would have been and gone for a couple of months on many like the Southern and Early Marsh Orchids. Granted the Common Spotted Orchids you see here are a little later than the others but they are still late.

With a little luck I shall get shots of them fully opened and hope the weather is on my side. Also if I am really lucky I will get some good shots of Common Twayblade Orchids and Pyramidal Orchids.

The former I have only just located and the latter I have not seen for a couple of years so fingers crossed!!!

After that I may just be able to start planning trips to locations further afield with Orchids and of course other wildlife?!

Toes crossed!! LOL.

 The wiggly lines common on the Dactylorhiza I visit.

 You can see the spotting on the leaves here, a shame the flowers do not last longer than they do like tropical Orchids!

 I like this photo.

 As you can see some have more spotting on the leaves than others

 Oddly I usually see some with flowers so pale they are almost WHITE. I am trying to figure out why this is.


 Heavy spotting but for me often the ones with fewer but large spots look a little better.



 Oops an Early Marsh Orchid crept in the post?!

 I did a few arty shots too over on my photography blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment