Saturday 8 June 2013

IN SEARCH OF THE BLACK PHEASANT - PHASIANUS COLCHICUS

THE BLIGHTER!!

This is one I followed about either last year or the year before and I had one of my brothers with me at the time who also saw it.

In fact I did not even think it was a Pheasant at first and did not know what it was.

SO a few days back and a hundred yards from reaching an Orchid site I spotted the same Cock Pheasant out in the open and immediately hit the brakes. I scrambled to get the new camera with a 40x zoom and a large objective lens, as opposed to the 14x zoom of the previous camera with a tiny objective lens.

So after spotting a second Black Pheasant pair a couple hundred yards from my house I end up spotting this first one I saw over 5 miles from my house!

Probably wont be thought much of but I thought it cool, lol.

I should be very careful about using scientific names as there can be different species and also sub-species and I know nothing of these dark Pheasants.

People who are armchair experts can spout words like melanistic, leutistic, amelanistic and many other terms as these have been bounded about a fair amount in recent years by hobbyists. I do not just mean in the world of birds either as it is rife in herpetology too.

But in nature morphological differences along with thos of recent mutations, genetic differences and simple location colour differences are still trying to be understood.

To me it is unusual to not only see something this different in colour to the norm but to do so, so often and suddenly.

Suggests something escaped and there are a great many different species of Pheasant in Asia where they all originate from, along with my favourite the Golden Pheasant and a new one, apparently found in the UK, whose name I cannot recall right now, lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment